Ocarina of Time: Young Link's Saga

By Jonathan


There echoes a time.. a time before twilight overruled Hyrule. A time before the princess slept a unbreakable sleep. A time before pure evil in an ungodly shape tried to destroy the parallel world of Hyrule. This is when evil planned to obtain the golden triangles. Only one man can stop such an evil; one man who can overcome the perils, the challenges, the evil puts in his way. Will the sacred triangles make light or evil's wish come true? Paradise or a realm of evil? Only time will tell.

 

Part 1: Beginnings

Dark clouds billowed over the field of Hyrule. But the source of the clouds was inside the castle, which is Hyrule Castle. The drawbridge slowly descends showing a market and a great castle in the distance. The boy looked inside and saw a white mare, with grey hair galloping away as fast as it could. On the white horse sat a woman and a girl, which Link did not know. At the same time, the girl, saw the boy, a fairy which was fluttering on his hat, and saw in his hands, a green glowing stone. The boy got out of the way and the horse galloped away into the distance. Link watched the horse go and he turned around and saw a man. But this man was scary to look at. He was wearing all black armour which gleamed eerily. His face was dark green, and his eyes showed pure malice in them. He smiled to himself and pat his horse. The horse was a jet black stallion, which matched his armour, and the eyes of the horse was like no other. The eyes of  both the horse and the man shown evil. When the man saw the boy, his face turned from glee to hatred. Link had never seen the man before, but he knew that he was evil just by looking at him. had not seen before. He tried to run away, but he couldn't. The man raised his hand and fired a dark evil blast at the boy, into his scared face.

 

Navi, where art thou?” A forest lies in the south-east Hyrule called the Koriki Forest. In the forest, the Great Deku Tree, a tall and mighty tree which dwarfed all the trees in the surrounding area spoke. “Come hither” the Deku Tree spoke with great pain.

A white fairy came to the tree. Navi was one of the fairies which lived in the Koriki Forest. She was the youngest and inexperienced of the fairies, but she works hard to make the Deku Tree proud. “Oh Navi the fairy, listen to my words” he said to the fairy. “Thou needs to get the boy without a fairy, Go now, and bring him to me.”

This made Navi look at the Deku Tree “B-but Great Deku Tree” she stuttered. “Fly Navi fly! The fate of Hyrule, nay the world, depends on thee” the Great Deku Tree said broadly with a very serious expression.

The fairy nodded and flew into the village still pondering on why the “boy without a fairy” is needed. In the village lives children called Koriki. The Koriki cannot grow up or leave the forest. This tribe had been forest dwellers since the Great Deku Tree sprouted and flourished. Navi knew the forest very well and was friendly to all the Koriki but she had not even met this boy. She flew to the house down the hill. This was the house that the Deku Tree said where the boy lives. She entered the house and saw the boy.

 

The boy was dreaming a bad dream. She flew over to him regardless and sprinkled her light around him “Hello Link,” she said politely “Wake up, the Great Deku Tree wanted to talk to you.” Thinking that he was still in dream land, the boy rolled over, still thinking of the dream, not knowing that there was a fairy in his room.

Navi hit the boy with her fist and her manner turned from politeness to impatience “Hey, Come on! Can Hyrule’s destiny depend on such a lazy boy?” The boy yawn and rubbed his eyes and saw Navi “A fairy?” he thought, as he sat on his bed, looking at the visitor.  “You finally woke up” she said, looking relived, but happy “I’m Navi the fairy, the Great Deku Tree asked me to be your partner from now on; nice to meet you.”

Link's thoughts went haywire “I've finally got a  partner? Why did the Great Deku Tree give me one now?” Link cleared his throat and said in a calm and patient manner “Nice to meet you NaviNavi smiled at Link but mainly to herself “The Deku Tree has summoned you.” Link looked at her “Me?” Summoned me?” he repeated, a mixture of happiness and confusion was in his voice. She nodded and flew to the door “Lets get going right now!” she exclaimed. Link got up, and ran to his new companion, and went outside to the forest.

 

 

Link stepped out of his house and faced Koriki Forest. Today was a beautiful day, with the sun high in the sky; spring had just started in the forest. Trees now glowed a green glow with leaves hanging down from them, and blossoms which will soon turn into fruit. Link saw a young girl running to his house; a girl which he was highly fond of “Hey Link!” said the girl from below.

This was Saria; Saria was Link’s best friend in the Forest. Her grass green hair, emerald green eyes and her bright green clothes made her unique in the forest. Although all Koriki, including Link wears green clothes, boys in a t-shirt and shorts and girls in a dress, Saria's clothes were specially made, from the leaves of the Great Deku Tree. She felt like she was one with the forest with her green attire and features.

Link jumped down from his house and ran up to her, a smile on his face “Hello Saria.” Saria saw Navi, the white fairy on his shoulder. “Wow a fairy” she said knowing that it was Navi. Link smiled at Navi, and then back to Saria “I'm so glad to finally have one Saria.” Saria smiled gleefully “Wow, that is great news,” she placed her arms behind her back and said “Now your a true Koriki.” Link shuffled on his feet and murmured quietly to her ear. Saria smiled warmly “The Great Deku Tree summoned you? Well don't keep him waiting; go to him. Ill wait for you here and we can play ocarinas together ok?”  she asked. Link nodded “Sure, I’ll be back quickly." Link smiled again and went into the forest.

 

Link looked at the shield which he just bought from the shop of the Koriki. Navi flew next to him and smiled “At least we have got a sword and shield just in case anything happens.” Link looked at the sword he found. It was the Koriki sword; a blade which was hidden away near the largest hill. Although its a treasure, he was allowed to use it. Navi told Link that he needed weapons since the task the Great Deku Tree gave him was going to be a tough one.

He picked up the shield. Although the shield was wooden, it looked very durable; Deku wood was famed in the Koriki tribe that it can endure the strongest onslaughts and still be without a scratch.  Link smiled at his new weapons and walked through the Great Grove.

Suddenly right next to him grew a Deku Baba. It was a plant at sight, but when Link came at its presence it only wanted the taste of blood; Link's blood. The plant lunged at Link, but Link dodged in time. “Link, use your sword to cut it down” Navi instructed. Link listened to Navi and cut down the Baba. What was left behind was a couple of strange nuts. Navi spoke up “Those are called Deku Nuts; they are famed to blind anything.” Link pocketed the Nuts and walked a little further in the grove.

 

“Great Deku Tree, I’m back,” said Navi flying ahead.  Link arrived where the Great Deku Tree was. His stature dwarfed Link, but his voice was calm “Oh Navi and Link you have returned,” He turned his voice to the boy “Link, you have felt it, an evil presence which lives on this world.” Link nodded curiously “Yes Great Deku Tree, but what is this presence?” “I will tell you when you do what I am going to ask you to do” the Deku Tree spoke “I have been cursed; I need to go inside me, and find and break it.”

This surprised both Link and Navi “B-but” stuttered the fairy, concern and worry all etched on her face “If this is true, shouldn’t we..” The Great Deku Tree spoke once more “Only the one with the power deep inside him can destroy the foul evil which lives inside of me.” Link's face looked determined “Then let me help you Great Deku Tree.”

 Although the Deku Tree was a plant, he felt happiness when he saw Link's face. He opened a passage way “Then enter brave Link. Navi, watch over Link as he fulfils this task.” Link ran inside the Great Deku Tree with Navi flying behind him.

 

Link wandered inside and he saw he was in a dark misty room. Link looked around, sensing something was in the room and he saw nothing but a glowing orb on the ceiling. However, it looked strange; it was like an eye and it was staring right back at him. The eye blinked  it saw Link and it walked closer to Link and fell to the ground.

It was a colossal spider called a Gohma; Tall, glowing blue, green and purple all at  the same time with  two pincer like claws. The spider roared. Navi span around Link and hid in his hat, scared and said “Link, the weak-spot is oblivious to see!” The creature lunged closer to Link, and its eye glowed a eerie red. “If its eye is its weak spot” Link thought, “Maybe I should,” he reached for the Deku Nuts which he claimed from the Deku Baba and he threw one to the ground.

As the creature attacked, a blinding flash surrounded it and it fell on the floor, paralysed, and its eye turned from red to pale green. Navi saw the outcome “Now Link!” she exclaimed “Attack the eye!” Link took out his blade and stabbed deep in the eye.

The creature shrieked in pain, and it backed away, reeling from the agony that is coming from its eye. It fell to the floor and it started to dissolve in a blue glow. As it disappeared, the dark mist which loomed over the room faded. “Come on!” shouted Navi and she hit his head looking very worried “We need to see if the Great Deku Tree is alright!” she flew out the room, with Link right behind him, looking equally worried.

 

As Link and Navi got outside, the passage closed up and the voice to the Great Deku Tree sounded “Well done Link.” Link turned around and he listened to the Deku Tree “You have shown your courage valiantly; I knew you would uphold my wishes.” Link smiled but noticed that there was no improvements to the colour of the Deku Tree. The Great Deku Tree was serious now “Now, I have yet more to tell ye, wouldst thou listen?” Link nodded and sat down to listen, while Navi sat on his shoulder.

 “Now listen carefully Link, a wicked man of the desert cast this dreadful curse upon me; This evil man ceaselessly uses his vile, sorceress powers in his search for the Sacred Realm that is connected to Hyrule, for it is in that Sacred Realm that one will find the divine relic, the Triforce, which contains the essence of the gods.”

 

Link looked a bit puzzled and had a lot of questions he wanted to ask but he resisted to ask and listened to him.

“Before time began, before spirits and life existed. Three golden goddesses descended upon the chaos that was Hyrule.  They were Din, the goddess of power, Nayru, the goddess of wisdom, Farore, the goddess of courage. Din, with her strong flaming arms; she cultivated the land and created the red earth. Nayru, poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world. Farore, with her rich soul produced all life forms who would uphold the law. The three great goddesses, their labours completed, departed for the heavens. In addition, the golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world. Since then, the sacred triangles have become the basis for our world's providence. And, the resting place of the triangles has become the Sacred Realm.”

Link looked at Navi amazingly and looked back at the Great Deku Tree. He went on “Thou must never allow the desert man in black armour to lay his hands on the sacred Triforce. Thou must never suffer that man, with his evil heart, to enter the Sacred Realm of legend. That evil man who cast the death curse upon me and sapped my power. Because of that curse, my end is nigh. Though your valiant effort to break the curse was successful, I was doomed before you started.” Navi gasped and she tried to go to the Deku Tree, but Link stopped her. The Great Deku Tree sounded sad “Yes, I will pass away soon, but do not grieve for me.  I have been able to tell you of these important matters. This is Hyrule's final hope.”

 

Link stood up on his feet and straightens his clothes but looked at the Deku Tree “Don't die Great Deku Tree” he said meekly. The Deku Tree said broadly “Link, Go now to Hyrule Castle. There, thou will surely meet the Princess of Destiny.” The tree groaned but continued, clearly tired “Take this stone with you. The stone that man wanted to much, that he cast the curse on me.”

A green light appeared above Link and a green stone went into his hands It was big green emerald and holding it in was gold, in the Koriki sign; the sign of life. Link looked back at the Great Deku Tree and he spoke “The future depends upon thee, Link. Thou art courageous.”   He turned his voice to the white fairy “Navi the fairy help Link to carry out my will for I will entreat you Navi.” The Deku Tree was dying but his last words were “Good-bye.” Golden leaves surrounded the two and the  Great Deku Tree gave his last sigh and turned from pale brown to a withered blue-grey, the sign that death has claimed him.

Link was stunned, and he held back his tears, but his partner Navi was crying softly, and she nudges Link and spoke quietly “Let’s go to Hyrule Castle Link.” Link ran from the Grove but Navi lingered. She went to the face which took care of her and guided her. She placed her tiny hand on the trunk of the Deku Tree “Good bye, Great Deku Tree.” She flew off after Link, her eyes still swimming with tears.

 

Link knew that the only way to get to the “Castle” was to get out the forest. But all Koriki knew that if they went outside the forest, they will die and wither in the fields of Hyrule. Link ran to the entrance of the forest and looked back to the forest. Navi rested on his shoulder “It's going to be tough to leave the home which we both grew up in” she lamented quietly. Link looked at her and smiled gently “Lets go my friend, or we will never leave” and he went through the tunnel.

At the end was a wooden bridge which showed the entrance to another tunnel. Link ran across the bridge, not noticing that he was not alone (not counting Navi on his shoulder.)  “Oh you’re leaving” said the voice which Link did not see. Link turned around and saw Saria, his best friend, looking at him with utter sadness. Link went to her and her smile was small and sad “I knew.. I knew that you would leave the forest someday. Because you are different from me and my friends.” Link looked sadly to the ground, very surprised to hear that he was “different” from the best friend he ever had. But Saria smiled gently and closed her eyes “But that's OK, because we'll be friends forever won't we?” Link looked back to his friend and saw that she was holding something. Saria gave it to him “I want you to have this Ocarina, please take good care of it.”

It was a hand-cut wooden ocarina, similar to Saria's ocarina. Link looked at the ocarina and then back to her “Saria, I am going to miss you the most out of everyone here.” Saria drew him in to a hug “When you play my Ocarina, I hope you will think of me and come back to the forest to visit.” Link looked at her and smiled, while Saria returned it, but her smile was sadder, like she was grieving something; grieving the loss of her friend.

Link back a bit, holding back tears the second time today, and he ran away, crying as he went. Navi looked at Saria and she smiled “Take care of him.” Navi smiled back “Don't worry, I will” and she fluttered off to catch up to Link. Saria looked at Link for the last time and she went back into the forest.



Back to Story Menu