~Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Nabooru, Navi, and other related characters and places are all property of Nintendo. No infringement intended

Prelude to the Legend

  By Lynn


CHAPTER 4 - Peace?

 

Ganondorf leaned back in his chair after having just finished signing his name to the provisional peace treaty that had been agreed upon between the Hylians and the Gerudo. Although the settlement was much against his will, he really had no choice after the disastrous loss his troops had faced. No matter, he thought wickedly to himself, the Gerudo are not known for keeping promises and I have no intention of breaking that tradition. Nevertheless, he kept his face impassive as the treaty was then signed by King Trebonius and the leading officers of both the Hylian and Gerudo armies.

Once the treaty had made its way around the large table situated in the meeting hall of Hyrule Castle, King Trebonius stood, "I am glad that we have finally come to an agreement. Let us hope it will last," he stated extending his hand to the Gerudo king. Ganondorf arose, along with his heading officers, and grasped the king's offered hand.

"Yes," he said, looking at the king through deceptive eyes, "let's hope."

 

  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

It was well past sundown before Gavin finally made his way up the path that led to the castle gates. The young Hylian grimaced, by this time he was thoroughly worn-out and the throbbing in his shoulder had returned.

Upon arriving at the gate, Gavin was met by a warm embrace from Captain Malcolm. "Gavin!" Malcolm exclaimed jovially, "Thank Nayru you're all right. We thought you were a goner for sure!"

Gavin winced as the captain released him from the embrace and slapped him amiably on the shoulder. "Yes, well I feel like I ought to have been dead hours ago," he replied smiling weakly.

"Ha, ha, you look it too!" Malcolm exclaimed, "Come on, a nice bath will do you good!" An hour later, the two captains were down in the castle kitchen discussing the recent events over glasses of cider.

"So the Gerudos signed the treaty?" Gavin looked amazed, "I never thought I'd live to see the day."

"From what you described you almost didn't" Malcolm remarked grimly, "and don't get your hopes too far up, it's only a temporary agreement, and judging from that no-good Gerudo they have a nerve to call a king, it will probably be less than that." "At least we will have a little respite from these awful wars."

"Don't forget we still have to deal with the Zora."

"Yes, but they are a much smaller threat."

Malcolm nodded his head in agreement, "Well, I think it's past your bedtime young man and mine too for that matter!" He took one last drink from his glass, wiped his mouth with his sleeve, and stood up.

Gavin stood also, "For once I think your right."

Malcolm looked offended, "Are you kidding me? I'm always right!"

Gavin smiled, "Goodnight."

"Ha, ha, goodnight ol' friend."

 

  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Meanwhile, King Trebonius gave a sigh of relief as he got into bed, thinking over the day's accomplishments. For once it seemed as if there was still hope for Hyrule after all. Beside him Celine lay silently. Leaning over her the king kissed the queen gently, but it elicited no response. At first he thought she was already asleep, but soon saw that her eyes remained wide open. "Are you all right dear?" he asked.

After waiting for five minutes, the king began to think that she wouldn't reply. Resting his head on his pillow, he was about to blow out the last light when suddenly she spoke, "You think that a treaty is going to end all of this?"

The king was shocked at the simple statement, "You saw the Gerudos' signatures yourself my dear. They readily agreed to the provisions of the treaty, I believe they are as tired of this war as we are."

"Something still isn't right," she turned to face him, her eyes reflecting her doubt.

"Everything is going to be fine," Trebonius answered reaching out and stroking her hair. She pulled away and looked at him angrily, "Why won't you believe me, why won't you listen! Do you really trust that Gerudo king over your own wife!?" The king sat up and said in an exasperated voice, "Of course I do not trust him more than you, but what else can I do? We have been over this too many times! Your dreams are nothing more than what they are, dreams! The captain you claimed would be dead by now is alive and well, and we have not suffered as much loss as you have predicted, so please let us just leave it be!"

To his surprise instead of laying back down, the queen got out of the bed and walked over to the door. "I think it would be better if I occupied one of the guest rooms tonight," she said coldly.

"Celine," the king said in a weary voice, "Please can't we.."

"Whether you believe me or not," she interrupted resolutely, "the war is not over yet." And with that she left slamming the door behind her and leaving the king to wonder what had just happened.

 

Back to Story Menu